Lavery: A Gift to the City

Posted on: February 28th, 2012

The Ulster Museum was given thirty-four paintings in 1929 by Sir John Lavery, representing all periods of his career. This exhibition celebrates that gift and brings together many of Lavery’s best-loved paintings from the Ulster Museum collection. Born in Belfast, Lavery began his career in Glasgow. During the 1880s he visited Paris and the artist’s colony at Grez-sur-Loing. In 1888 he was commissioned to record The State Visit of Queen Victoria to the Glasgow International Exhibition and the resulting studies launched his career as a society portraitist. Lavery perfected the oil sketch as a means of planning his compositions and during his frequent travels to North Africa, Switzerland and France he evolved subtle colour harmonies which show the influence of Whistler. The exhibition will be on display until the 15th April.